As the largest retailer of classic cars in the world, RK Motors Charlotte has the track record to help our clients and customers cut through the fog of misinformation that can sometimes cloud the classic car market.
In 2008, when the worldwide economy was rocked by rapid devaluations in paper backed assets, we calmly and patiently pointed out to our customers that:
- The collector car market has historically been an “all cash” market and has never been directly subject to the inflationary forces of cheap and easy credit.
- High grade collector cars are typically rare, limited production hard assets.
- The cost to properly restore a vintage collector car, in most cases, exceeds its market value.
- Like any hard asset, the value of most classic cars tend to rise with the debasement of national currencies and keep pace with inflation. As the labor and parts cost to restore a car increase, so does the value of the existing pool of cars.
And, just as we predicted, the classic car market stabilized and has seen a noticeable rise in values as investors worldwide look for secure places to store their hard-earned wealth. In reality, when viewed over a 15-20 year time horizon, there is only one asset class that has outperformed classic cars: gold.
While classic cars have the characteristics of many collectibles, they are unique in many ways. A vast array of varying factors can significantly affect the value of any collector car at any time including:
- Original components or lack thereof.
- Production number of a particular model.
- Color combination.
- Presence or lack of historical documents.
- Generational demand.
- Survivor versus restored.
- Quality of restoration.
We bring value to our customers because of the sheer volume of transactions we handle in a true retail environment, not wholesale auctions. Do you want to know what your non-numbers matching, triple black 1969 Camaro Pro Touring with a ZZ502 and a 5 speed is worth? We can tell you-and the number will be pretty accurate. Best of all, we can back it up with a check or sale on your behalf.
The reality is that after you purchase a classic car and transport, service, store and maintain it, a realistic goal would be to have the car appreciate enough to cover your cost of ownership.
If you are like a lot of our customers and trade in and out of cars frequently, our accurate pricing and stable retail platform assures that we will give you a very favorable trade number when it comes time to swap your classic for something new from our massive inventory.
At RK Motors Charlotte we firmly believe that it’s easy to overpay for a bargain but it’s difficult to overpay for the best. As many classic car veterans know, the difference between a #1 grade car and a #3 grade car can be $20,000.00 in purchase price and $80,000.00 in parts and labor.
In summary, our commitment to our customers is to offer accurately represented, high grade collector cars, providing a great ownership experience. We certainly aren’t investment advisors, but we do know a thing or two about which cars to put your money into. You tell us what your ownership goals are and we will do our best to put you in the driver’s seat of the right car!